Prepositions for Time, Place, and Introducing Objects
One point in time
On is used with days:
·
I will see you on Monday.
·
The week begins on Sunday.
At is used with noon, night, midnight, and with the time of day:
·
My plane leaves at noon.
·
The movie starts at 6
p.m.
In is used with other parts of the day, with months, with years, with
seasons:
·
He likes to read in the
afternoon.
·
The days are long in August.
·
The book was
published in 1999.
·
The flowers will
bloom in spring.
Extended time: To
express extended time, English uses the following prepositions: since,
for, by, from—to, from-until, during,(with)in
·
She has been gone since yesterday. (She
left yesterday and has not returned.)
·
I'm going to Paris for two
weeks. (I will spend two weeks there.)
·
The movie showed from August to October. (Beginning
in August and ending in October.)
·
The decorations were
up from spring until fall. (Beginning
in spring and ending in fall.)
·
I watch TV during the
evening. (For some period of time in the evening.)
·
We must finish the project within a
year. (No longer than a year.
Place
To talk about the point itself: in, (There is a
wasp in the room)
To express something contained: inside, (Put the
present inside the box)
To talk about the surface: on, (I left your keys on the
table)
To talk about a general vicinity, at. (She was
waiting at the corner)
Higher than a point: To
express notions of an object being higher than a point, English uses the
following prepositions: over, above.
·
He threw the ball over the
roof.
·
Hang that picture above the
couch.
Lower than a point: To express notions of an
object being lower than a point, English uses the following prepositions: under,
underneath, beneath, below.
·
The rabbit burrowed under the
ground.
·
The child hid underneath the
blanket.
·
We relaxed in the
shade beneath the branches.
·
The valley is below sea-level.
Close to a point: To express notions of an
object being close to a point, English uses the following prepositions: near,
by, next to, between, among, opposite.
·
She lives near the
school.
·
There is an ice cream
shop by the store.
·
An oak tree grows next to my
house
·
The house is between Elm
Street and Maple Street.
·
I found my pen lying among the
books.
·
The bathroom is opposite that
room.
To introduce objects of verbs:
At: glance, laugh, look,
rejoice, smile, stare
·
She glanced at her
reflection.
(Exception with mirror: She glanced in the mirror.)
(Exception with mirror: She glanced in the mirror.)
·
You didn't laugh at his
joke.
·
I'm looking at the
computer monitor.
·
We rejoiced at his
safe rescue.
·
That pretty girl
smiled at you.
·
Stop staring at me.
Of: approve, consist,
smell
·
I don't approve of his
speech.
·
My contribution to the
article consists of many pages.
·
He came home smelling of alcohol.
Of (or about): dream,
think
·
I dream of finishing
college in four years.
·
Can you think of a number
between one and ten?
·
I am thinking about this
problem.
For: call, hope, look,
wait, watch, wish
·
Did someone call for a
taxi?
·
He hopes for a
raise in salary next year.
·
I'm looking for my
keys.
·
We'll wait for her
here.
·
You go buy the tickets and
I'll watch for the train.
Reference: YouTube
No comments:
Post a Comment